Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Our last week at Tandou....


I really need a panoramic lens to show just how big the farm is here, this shot shows some cotton in the foreground (dark green) and then the brighter green crop is a 'sacrifice crop' for bugs to feed on where they would normally attack the cotton crop.





Tandou farm is surrounded by sandhills.  Bun would love to ride the bike in them but it's not allowed. So we rode the 4-wheeler around the base of them for a little way and then walked up so that I could take some photos.


Definitely an 'ooops' moment!!   This happened while the tarp was being pulled over the top of the grain bunker.


Bun in a familiar pose!  This was at the base of the sandhills with the farm in the background.



Bun took this photo with his phone one day.  I was working in the paddock behind him, if you zoom in on the dust cloud, that's me :)


Another beautiful sunrise just behind the van, again shame we had to go to work.


This is the photo that Josh messaged to us after Kara had a scan.  He was so excited, the text with the photo said 'There's really a baby in there'!!



Bun took this one in the sandhills and said that was so that I would get a photo on the blog hahaha.


There is such a big line-up of machinery here, some sits idle for most of the year I think, but I thought the sky looked interesting that morning.



This is what I was working on over the weekend, the rig is called a side-buster and is used to rip the ground up in preparation for changing the crops.


They use a plane here for some of the spraying and he was zipping back and forwards in the paddock adjacent to me on Saturday.


They use old Chamberlain tractors here to move the huge siphon pipes around, each tractor carries one on the front and one behind.  I saw these guys moving around the other day, each kicking up their own cloud of dust.  It looked great and I was disappointed that I only had the phone to take a photo because the big zoom lens would have been much better.  I think I'll take the good camera to work with me this week just in case anything interesting comes along :)


Just because I liked the look of them :)


I picked these up at the Woolies bottle shop this afternoon in Broken Hill and was a little disappointed when I read later that you have to freeze them for 8 hours!  Anyway I think I will keep them to share with a couple of the girls here on Saturday or Sunday night. 

We are going to finish up here on Sunday night and will pack up Monday morning and head to Winkie.
We will call in at Mildura to get some new mudflaps for the truck as they started to split where they attach to the truck.  In fact, one of them cracked all the way off today on the way back from Broken Hill.

The next few weeks we will be based at home with a couple of side trips.  We are going to go to Canberra briefly to pick up the old Commodore that Ben was using.  He has his new ute now so we'll bring the car back and then Josh and Kara can use that.
We will also go to Adelaide for Bun's skin appointment at the end of February so will get to see Josh and Kara for a weekend and hopefully catch up with a couple of friends while we're there.

Other than that, we have a loose plan to travel towards WA via the SA coastline but that is always open to change :)

Cheers for now!



No comments:

Post a Comment